Cindy Ricardo, LMHC, CMT
Facilitator of West Broward Insight Meditation Community. Psychotherapist, Mindfulness Teacher
Cindy Ricardo is a Certified Mindfulness Teacher (through the Engaged Mindfulness Institute) and the organizer of our Sangha. She has practiced Yoga and Vipassana/Mindfulness for over 15 years (see education and training experience below), and believes this practice helps us to maintain an open mind and a compassionate heart. This is something that is often lacking, in our fast paced world, where technology and our constant busyness, stops us from connecting with ourselves and the world around us. This practice allows us to be present and open to life, in ways that awaken compassion, wisdom and joy. We witness the preciousness of life and seeing life in this way, meet life's joys and sorrow with an open mind and heart.
Cindy Ricardo's formal training and experience:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor since 2000 in the state of Florida.
- Worked at Women in Distress - as Individual and Group Therapist, Supervisor of Registered Interns at Shelter, Organized Bi-lingual Parenting program for Survivors of Domestic Violence. 2000-2005
- Certified IMAGO Relationship Therapist 2004-to current.
- Developed and ran Couples Workshops through the PAIRS Foundation (5 workshops with Jose and another fellow Couples therapist) 2007-2008.
- Received Certification as a Kripalu Yoga Instructor (for these past 7years). Teach at a Private Studio and lead the Gentle Movement part of our retreats. 2008-to current.
- As Certified Kripalu Yoga Instructor worked at Blue Sol Yoga, Shanti3 Yoga and The Prana Lab teaching Gentle, Restorative and Yoga Nidra Meditation, developed and led Women's Self Care and Yoga 1 day retreats. 2008-to current.
- Received Certification in Meditation and Psychotherapy through the Institute for Meditation and Psychotherapy 2013-2014.
- Certified as a Mindfulness Teacher (through EMI - 300hrs.) in 2017-2018.
- Attended over 13 Mindfulness retreats, over the past 5 years at IMS, BCBS, Bhavana and other centers 2013-to current.
- Attended on line classes with Gary Steinberg and other Insight Dialogue Teachers. 2016-2019.
- Study on my own (both books written by teachers such as Bhikkhu Analayo, Thannisaro Bhikkhu, Christina Feldman, Joseph Goldstein, Guy Armstrong, Tara Brach, Chris Germer, Rob Burbia. 2008-current.
- Developed a Sangha - West Broward Insight Community - that was established 5 years ago. 2015-to current.
- Lead Teacher and facilitate weekly Sunday Meditation meetings ( start with a silent meditation for 20-30mins, followed by a Dharma talk 30-40 mins and end with a period of Mindful Inquiry). 2015-to current.
- Developed and facilitated Intro do Mindfulness and Compassion classes and one on Intro to Mindfulness and Resiliency scheduled to begin in April 2020. . 2018-to current.
- Lead, organize and facilitate two - five day retreats on a yearly basis - 6 retreats took place from 2016-to current (3 that were 3 days and 3 5 days), receiving feedback that has been all positive. (The last 2 retreats were co-facillitated by an MBSR teacher, who was recently certified and facilitated 1 day of the retreat.)
- Developing and establishing relationships with outside Dharma Teachers - inviting them to lead retreats for our Sanha. 2019-to present.
Trainings, Certifications and Retreats Attended:
- 3 day retreat with Paul Linn on Vipassana Meditation-Loving Presence -sponsored by the Gainesville Vipassana Society – 10-2013
- 2 – 5 day silent retreats for the Certification in Meditation and Psychotherapy program at Barre Center for Buddhist Studies in Sept 2013-October 2014.
- 3 day retreat with Paul Linn on Vipassana Meditation-Continuity of Mindfulness -sponsored by the Gainesville Vipassana Society – March 2014
- 3 day retreat with Lila Kate Wheeler on The Buddekaratta Sutta-An Auspicious Night. Barre Center for Buddhist Studies Dec. 2014
- 6 day Retreat with Shaila Katherine, Liberating Mind and Heart Metta Retreat at at Barre Center for Buddhist Studies Feb. 2015
- 4 day Retreat with Lila Kate Wheeler and Hugh Brynes on the 3 Types of Suffering – at The Southern Dharma Retreat Center in N.C. – Nov. 2015
- 5 day Insight Dialogue Retreat with Jan Surrey at Hallelujah Farms in New Hampshire– June 2016
- 6 day Retreat with Kittisaro on Balancing Liberation and Devotion – at Barre Center for Buddhist Studies – October 2016
- 5 day Retreat with Winnie Nazarko and Anuska Fernandophile – Establishing Presence - at Insight Meditation Society – Feb 2017
- 5 day Retreat with Gloria Tariniya on Hiri and Ottapa; Understanding Remorse and it’s role in Waking Up at Barre Center for Buddhist Studies – August 2017
- 7 day Retreat with Fleet Maull for the Engaged Mindfulness Institute’s - Mindfulness Teacher Certification Program-300 Hour. (Noble Silence was held for 5 of the 7 days).
- 8 day Retreat with Marcia Rose and Winnie Nazarko on Wise Concentration at Insight Meditation Society – Feb 2018
- 5 Day Retreat with Gloria Taraniya – Dhammavicaya – investigation of Dhammas Barre Center for Buddhist Studies-Nov. 2018
- 7 Day Retreat with Fleet Maull - EMI - Mindfulness Teacher Certification Program- Closing retreat (Noble Silence held 5 out of 7 days)
- 8 Day Retreat - with Bhante Gunaratana, Bhante Jayasara and Bhante Silananda - Sutta Studies Retreat at Bhavana Retreat Center - October 2019
- 6 Day Retreat - with Jill Shepherd - Liberation through Non Clinging at Barre Center for Buddhist Studies - Dec. 2019
- 4 Day Retreat - with Janet Surrey & Bart Van Malik on Spiritual Friendship an Insight Dialogue Retreat - Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (Registered) Feb 2020
- 8 Day Retreat - with Matthew Brensilver and Erin Treat - Opening to Wisdom and Love at Insight Meditation Society, Barre MA - Registered (March 2020)
This community developed out of a dedication and commitment to share this peaceful, healing path with others. We began back in October of 2015 and have grown to be a warm, supportive and safe community in which to practice the Dharma/Mindfulness. We practice in the Theravadin tradition and follow the path of Insight Meditation practice. This is a practice that leads to freedom of mind and heart.
We invite you to join us, as we come together to explore this peaceful practice.
Our schedule is: Sundays, 11:00a-12:30pm (please see our Meetup Group Page for schedule) weekly at the MedSpa Suites Meditation/Yoga Room. The building is located at 9900 W. Sample Rd., 1st Floor, Coral Springs, Fl. 33065.
Please join our Meetup Group to receive notification of upcoming meetings, events, dates and locations.
Every 2nd Saturday- A Day of Mindfulness - 11:30pm - 4:30pm at The Med Spa Suites in Coral Springs, Fl. 33065
We host 2 Vipassana/Mindfulness retreats a year and a Day of Mindfulness retreat, every other month on a Saturday. To register for upcoming retreats/events please go to Services/Retreats page.
Learn more about the positive and healing benefits of this practice. For questions please email at wbmindfulness.com or by phone.